A bank is a financial establishment that invests money deposited by customers, pays it out when required, makes loans at interest, and exchanges currency. According to Abbreviationfinder, HSBC stands for Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank Corporation.
View by State
In a commercial sense, a bank is a credit institution that offers paid services for the movement of capital. As an entrepreneur, you are probably asking yourself the question: Do I have to open a business account with my bank? Here we explain to you whether you really need a business account. As a credit institution, a bank offers services for payment transactions, credit transactions and capital transactions. In Germany, a credit institution is a commercial company that does banking.
View by Country
The bank and its general functions
Banks generally perform six main functions. These main functions include:
- Services such as cash transactions
- Granting loans
- Monetary function (total payments)
- (Monetary policy incentives interest rates increase or interest rate or lower)
- Investment function (securities trading)
- Economic function
The classic business basis of banks is in particular the management of savings deposits and lending.
Economic functions of a bank
At the economic level, banks have three main functions:
Deadline transformation – 1st function of a bank
Investors and borrowers often think in different time periods. While investors tend to want to get their money very short-term, borrowers often want long-term loans. Banks offer their customers very flexible investment conditions, for example with checking accounts or overnight money accounts, which can be emptied completely from one day to the next. On the other hand, they lend money for longer periods, often over several years. Deadline transformation poses a risk if banks suddenly lose their customers’ trust. In this case, there can be a “bank run” in which all investors want to have their money paid out at once. Of course, this poses problems for the bank because it lent the money to its customers over the long term.
Risk transformation – 2nd function of a bank
While savers definitely want to get back the money that they invest in banks, there is a risk that the individual debtor will not be able to meet his obligations with every loan granted. Since the bank grants a large number of loans and is relatively well informed about the probability of default on its borrowers, the overall risk from the loans granted is not very great. For their part, investors can therefore assume that they will almost certainly get their savings back.
Batch size transformation – 3rd function of a bank
Investors are often private individuals who have very small savings. In contrast, companies require loans of considerable value. Banks can solve this problem by taking the money of many investors and lending it to a smaller number of borrowers.
The bank and its customer groups
Bank customer groups include private customers, corporate customers, states and other banks. The individual customer groups are described in more detail below.
A private customer is a single person – in contrast to corporate customers or institutions. A bank’s retail banking business is again divided into
- Standard customer: focus on mass business (payment transactions, loans, credit cards)
- Wealthy client: focus on investment advice
Corporate customers are business customers – i.e. companies and institutions. They usually do their business through a company account. The focus here is on lending to companies.
States also belong to a bank’s customer group. The range of offers here includes the granting of government bonds.
In addition to private customers, corporate customers and states, banks also have other banks as customers. This trade between banks among themselves is also called interbank trade.
- ATM Locators
- Bank Directories
- Bank Rates & CDs
- Business Credit
- Car Loans
- Central Banks
- Credit Advice
- Credit Counselors
- Credit Repair
- Credit Reports
- Credit Unions
- Currency Exchange
- Debt Management
- Development Banks
- Electronic Banking
- Getting a Loan
- International Banks
- Investment Banks
- Bankruptcy Law
- Loan Calculators
- Loan Companies
- Rating Agencies
- Student Loans
- Telephone Banking
- US Banks by State
- Austria Attractions and Culinary (5/13/2022) - Attractions Styria and Graz Styria, the "green heart of Austria" or the "Austrian Tuscany", is a popular holiday destination due to its diverse landscape. The north of Styria is dominated by mountain ranges, southern and eastern Styria are characterized by… …
- Attractions of Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (5/10/2022) - Giant's Causeway In the northwest of County Antrim lies the Causeway Coast with popular holiday resorts and the Giant's Causeway, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. About 60 million years old, the approximately 40,000 uniformly shaped basalt columns of… …
- Zimbabwe Healthcare and Money (5/9/2022) - Health care Vaccinations Vaccination needed receipt required Eat Drink 4 - malaria 3 - Typhoid & Polio Yes - cholera 2 yellow fever 1 Overview Medical care cannot be compared to that in Europe and is often problematic in terms… …
- Zambia Healthcare and Money (5/9/2022) - Health care Vaccinations Vaccination needed receipt required Eat Drink malaria 3 - Typhoid & Polio Yes - cholera 2 yellow fever 1 Overview Medical care cannot be compared to Europe and is highly problematic in terms of technology, equipment and/or… …
- Yemen Healthcare and Money (5/9/2022) - Health care Vaccinations Vaccination needed receipt required cholera no Typhoid & Polio Yes - malaria 2 - Eat Drink 3 - yellow fever 1 Overview Overall, medical care in Sanaa is sufficient for most issues. Outside the capital, however, significant… …
- Vietnam Healthcare and Money (5/9/2022) - Health care Vaccinations Vaccination needed receipt required yellow fever 1 cholera 2 Typhoid & Polio Yes - Eat Drink malaria 3 - Overview There are hospitals in major cities and health centers in all provinces, but facilities are limited. It… …
- Venezuela Healthcare and Money (5/9/2022) - Health care Vaccinations Vaccination needed receipt required yellow fever 1 Malaria 4 - Cholera 2 Typhus & Polio 3 - Eat Drink Overview Medical care is good in the larger cities. However, the supply of medicines is inadequate. Therefore, a… …
- Vanuatu Healthcare and Money (5/9/2022) - Health care Vaccinations Vaccination needed receipt required Eat Drink 3 - malaria 2 - Typhoid & Polio 1 - cholera no yellow fever no Overview Basic medical care is guaranteed. Basic hospitals exist in Port Vila on Efate Island and… …
- Uzbekistan Healthcare and Money (5/9/2022) - Health care Vaccinations Vaccination needed receipt required yellow fever no Typhoid & Polio Yes - cholera no malaria 1 no - Eat Drink 2 - Overview Medical care in Uzbekistan is inadequate. Travelers are therefore also recommended to become a… …
- Uruguay Healthcare and Money (5/9/2022) - Health care Vaccinations Vaccination needed receipt required yellow fever 1 cholera no Typhoid & Polio 2 - Eat Drink 3 - malaria no - Overview General medical care is good in Montevideo and adequate in the larger inland cities. In… …