A bank is a financial establishment that invests money deposited by customers, pays it out when required, makes loans at interest, and exchanges currency. According to Abbreviationfinder, HSBC stands for Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank Corporation.
View by State
In a commercial sense, a bank is a credit institution that offers paid services for the movement of capital. As an entrepreneur, you are probably asking yourself the question: Do I have to open a business account with my bank? Here we explain to you whether you really need a business account. As a credit institution, a bank offers services for payment transactions, credit transactions and capital transactions. In Germany, a credit institution is a commercial company that does banking.
View by Country
The bank and its general functions
Banks generally perform six main functions. These main functions include:
- Services such as cash transactions
- Granting loans
- Monetary function (total payments)
- (Monetary policy incentives interest rates increase or interest rate or lower)
- Investment function (securities trading)
- Economic function
The classic business basis of banks is in particular the management of savings deposits and lending.
Economic functions of a bank
At the economic level, banks have three main functions:
Deadline transformation – 1st function of a bank
Investors and borrowers often think in different time periods. While investors tend to want to get their money very short-term, borrowers often want long-term loans. Banks offer their customers very flexible investment conditions, for example with checking accounts or overnight money accounts, which can be emptied completely from one day to the next. On the other hand, they lend money for longer periods, often over several years. Deadline transformation poses a risk if banks suddenly lose their customers’ trust. In this case, there can be a “bank run” in which all investors want to have their money paid out at once. Of course, this poses problems for the bank because it lent the money to its customers over the long term.
Risk transformation – 2nd function of a bank
While savers definitely want to get back the money that they invest in banks, there is a risk that the individual debtor will not be able to meet his obligations with every loan granted. Since the bank grants a large number of loans and is relatively well informed about the probability of default on its borrowers, the overall risk from the loans granted is not very great. For their part, investors can therefore assume that they will almost certainly get their savings back.
Batch size transformation – 3rd function of a bank
Investors are often private individuals who have very small savings. In contrast, companies require loans of considerable value. Banks can solve this problem by taking the money of many investors and lending it to a smaller number of borrowers.
The bank and its customer groups
Bank customer groups include private customers, corporate customers, states and other banks. The individual customer groups are described in more detail below.
A private customer is a single person – in contrast to corporate customers or institutions. A bank’s retail banking business is again divided into
- Standard customer: focus on mass business (payment transactions, loans, credit cards)
- Wealthy client: focus on investment advice
Corporate customers are business customers – i.e. companies and institutions. They usually do their business through a company account. The focus here is on lending to companies.
States also belong to a bank’s customer group. The range of offers here includes the granting of government bonds.
In addition to private customers, corporate customers and states, banks also have other banks as customers. This trade between banks among themselves is also called interbank trade.
- ATM Locators
- Bank Directories
- Bank Rates & CDs
- Business Credit
- Car Loans
- Central Banks
- Credit Advice
- Credit Counselors
- Credit Repair
- Credit Reports
- Credit Unions
- Currency Exchange
- Debt Management
- Development Banks
- Electronic Banking
- Getting a Loan
- International Banks
- Investment Banks
- Bankruptcy Law
- Loan Calculators
- Loan Companies
- Rating Agencies
- Student Loans
- Telephone Banking
- US Banks by State
- Valais, Switzerland (11/25/2021) - In the canton of Valais stands the tourism in the forefront. The French-German-speaking canton lives from the annual winter and alpine tourism. Located in a stunning Berglandschaft, the canton has manners as capital. The canton of Valais is a member… …
- Zug, Switzerland (11/18/2021) - Zug is a German speaking Canton in Switzerland. He is a member of the Swiss Confederation and has as its capital the same place train. Zug is also the smallest whole canton in Switzerland. It measures just 239 square kilometers.… …
- Martinique Landmarks (11/11/2021) - In Martinique you should definitely see the Cathedral Saint Luis / Forte de France. The cathedral was built in 1978 according to the plans of the well-known Architects Henri Picq. The tower of the church has a height of about… …
- How to Get to Martinique (11/10/2021) - Martinique arrival Airplane: the airlines that fly to Martinique from Europe include Air France, Air Caribes (both from Paris) and Corsair (from Brest, Paris and Lyon). There are numerous feeder flights from airports in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. The following… …
- Burkina Faso State Overview (11/9/2021) - History In the 11th century, the Mossi people, under the leadership of Vedraogo, laid the foundations for the Empire of Moro de Naba, the embryo of present-day Burkina Faso. The powerful Mossi kingdom resisted repeated invasions by Arab forces and consolidated its political structure.… …
- Montserrat Geography (11/9/2021) - The island of Montserrat belongs to the Lesser Antilles, which is located in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. Montserrat lies between the islands of Antigua and Guadeloupe. Montserrat is still part of the Commonwealth of today as an overseas… …
- Latvia Society and Culture (11/9/2021) - Social development Until its independence on September 6, 1991, Latvia was integrated into the welfare and social security system in force in the remaining republics of the former Soviet Union. In other words, citizens enjoyed extensive social coverage that included medical assistance, unemployment… …
- Travel in Montserrat (11/8/2021) - Montserrat arrival Airplane: the airline WinAir flies presently the only one at Montserrat (several times a day from Antigua). To get to Antigua and Barbuda from Europe, you can use British Airways, Lufthansa, Swiss or British Midland Airways, among others. There are also flights to… …
- Tanzania Cities (11/8/2021) - Tanzania borders in the northwest on Burundi and Rwanda, in the north on Uganda (partially bordered by Lake Victoria ), in the northeast on Kenya, in the east on the Indian Ocean, in the south on Mozambique, in the southwest… …
- India Philosophy (11/7/2021) - In order to better understand the development of Indian philosophy, some premises are necessary: according to Pharmacylib, in India there is no serious historiography even in the philosophical field and the information on individual authors, even the most important, is… …