Egypt Vacation Package

Egypt Vacation

Sun, beach and sea are the most important aspects for you so that you can really relax? Then an Egypt vacation is perfect for you! This country is teeming with dreamy sandy beaches and great resorts that make a beach holiday almost perfect. Places like Hurghada and Sharm el Sheikh are ideal for a sunny beach holiday, while the pulsating capital Cairo and the historic Luxor are ideal for sightseeing.…

Read More

Colonial History of Mauritania

Old mosque in Chinguetti

Arab invasion (14th-18th centuries) Beginning with the conquest of the western Maghreb by the Arabs, Mauritania experienced a slow but constant Arab infiltration. A third wave of immigration, this time from the north, was the Arab immigration of various groups from Yemen, displacing Berbers and Africans alike southwards. It was not a sudden invasion, but a continuous infiltration that lasted two to three centuries. The Berbers, who did not want…

Read More

Pre-colonial History of Mauritania

Pre-colonial History of Mauritania

Early days The beginnings of the history of this region are largely unknown. The main sources of pre-European history are oral narratives, legends and archaeological findings. Archaeological finds on Mauritanian territory show a settlement in the Neolithic. The Bafour, a people of the original Berbers, lived in the land of today’s Mauritania as hunters, farmers and fishermen. The Imraguen, fishermen in the Banc d’Arguin and the Nemedi, hunters in southeast…

Read More

Mauritania Social Conditions

Garbage collection in Nouadhibou

The last official census in Mauritania took place in 2000. Mauritania currently had 2,508,159 residents, 70% of whom belonged to the group of Arab-Berber Moors (Bidhan and Haratin). The remaining 30% are mostly Mauritanians of black African origin. Population figures are a political issue in Mauritania. A census planned for 2012 was canceled after violent protests and unrest. Black Mauritanians had to disclose their origins over several generations and ran…

Read More

Mauritania Ecology

Garbage collection point in Nouakchott

Desertification The climate in Mauritania has changed dramatically since the onset of prolonged droughts in the 1960’s, which are part of the Sahel’s wet and dry cycles. The minimum annual rainfall required for agriculture is 150 millimeters. This line has shifted about 100 km in Mauritania since the start of the drought and is now south of Nouakchott. In the 80’s, the desert advanced at a speed of 6 km…

Read More

Mauritania Flora and Fauna

Mauritania Flora and Fauna

Mauritania – the forgotten country between the Maghreb and sub-Saharan Africa – is one of the large territorial states of Africa and consists for the most part of deserts. After independence from France in 1960, the development of democracy was repeatedly interrupted by military coups. The 2019 presidential elections mark the first democratic and peaceful change of power in the country’s history. Flora and fauna The flood savannahs along the…

Read More

Mauritania Overview

Reforestation near Nouakchott

The borders of Mauritania are the result of European colonial policy. Mauritania fills the void between Morocco and Senegal. Endless deserts and the Atlantic coast shape the landscape of a country that only has agricultural land on the Senegal River. History Berber-Arab immigration and the West African kingdoms are the historical base of the country. After independence from France, there were repeated military coups. Mauritania is an important partner of…

Read More