China Healthcare and Money

By | May 9, 2022

Health care


Vaccination needed receipt required
yellow fever 1
cholera 2
Typhoid & Polio 3
malaria 4 no
Eat Drink


Medical care is inexpensive, but does not meet western standards, especially outside of the big cities. Healing methods of traditional Chinese medicine (e.g. acupuncture) are widespread. However, many Western medicines are not available and communication can be very difficult without Chinese language skills. A first-aid kit should primarily contain remedies for intestinal and cold diseases and disposable syringes. Doctor and hospital bills usually have to be paid in cash immediately after treatment. Taking out travel health insurance with reliable travel insurance is strongly recommended. Check indexdotcom for more information.

Notes vaccinations

[1] A vaccination certificate against yellow fever is required for all travelers who want to enter or transit within six days after staying more than 9 hours in an infected area designated by the WHO. [2] A certificate of vaccination against cholera is not an entry requirement, but there is a risk of infection. Since the effectiveness of the vaccination is disputed, it is advisable to seek medical advice in good time before you travel. To protect oneself, one should practice careful drinking water and food hygiene. Vaccination is only recommended in rare cases. [3] Vaccination against poliomyelitis is recommended and against typhoid is useful.

Food and drink

Due to the risk of possible infections, careful drinking and food hygiene should be ensured. Water should generally either be boiled or otherwise sterilized before drinking, brushing your teeth and making ice cubes, or it should be bought packaged. When buying packaged water, you should make sure that the original packaging has not been opened. Unpasteurized milk should be boiled. Only mix dry and canned milk with sterile water. Dairy products made from unboiled milk should not be consumed. Meat and fish dishes should only be well cooked and served hot. Eating raw salads and mayonnaise should be avoided.

Other risks

The standard vaccinations for children and adults recommended by the Robert Koch Institute (including against tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), mumps, measles, rubella, pneumococci and influenza) should be refreshed before the trip if necessary. Schistosomiasis pathogens are found in some ponds and rivers (along the Yangtze River) nationwide, especially in central and eastern Anhui, Honan, Hubei, Jiangsu and Jiangxi. Swimming or wading in inland waters should therefore be avoided. Well-maintained swimming pools with chlorinated water are safe. Dengue fever, transmitted by mosquitoes, occurs mainly in the south of the country. The risk of transmission is particularly high during the monsoon (June to October). Effective insect repellent and skin-covering clothing are recommended. Hepatitis A, B and E (in the north of the country) occur. Vaccination protection is useful against hepatitis A and, for long-term stays of more than three months, also against hepatitis B. HIV/AIDS is a danger for everyone who takes the risk of infection: unprotected sexual contact, unclean syringes or cannulas and blood transfusions can pose a significant health risk. There is an increased risk of infection for Japanese encephalitis from April to October, especially in the central and eastern provinces (exceptions: Xizang in Tibet, Xinjiang and Quinghai). Plague cases occur in northern and western China. The risk of infection is low. Protection against rats and fleas through safe sleeping places and frequent changes of linen, as well as keeping away those who are already sick, reduce the risk of infection. If you work in areas affected by the plague, it is advisable to take antibiotics prophylactically. Rabies occurs nationwide, with the southern provinces being particularly affected. Carriers include dogs (main carriers), cats, forest animals and bats. Vaccination is recommended. In the event of a bite, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Outbreaks of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) are common in rural areas. Symptoms are blisters on the hands, feet and mouth, sometimes with fever. Children are usually affected and highly contagious, but the course of the disease is usually harmless. Careful hand hygiene and avoiding contact with sick people can greatly reduce the risk of infection. When traveling at altitudes over 2500 meters, altitude sickness can occur due to rapid ascent. If symptoms such as poor sleep, headache, dizziness, vomiting and increasing shortness of breath do not subside with a break, you should descend to an altitude of less than 2000 meters. Due to the sometimes high level of air pollution in the country’s metropolitan areas, chronic respiratory diseases can continue to worsen. You can find out about the current air quality from the Chinese Ministry of the Environment.

bird flu

Avian influenza is endemic to the PRC. Travelers should avoid live poultry markets.

Health certificate

Foreigners staying in China for more than 1 year may be required to submit a health declaration upon entry and provide evidence of a negative HIV test. For work stays, a health certificate with chest X-ray, ECG and laboratory findings (including syphilis test) and an HIV test in Chinese and English is required (form available on request from the embassy).



1 renminbi yuan = 10 jiao = 100 fen. Currency code: RMB¥, CNY (ISO code). Banknotes come in denominations of ¥100, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2, and 1, as well as 5, 2, and 1 jiao, and 5, 2, and 1 fen. Coins are in denominations of ¥1, 5 and 1 jiao, 5, 2 and 1 fen. Fen bills and coins have become very rare.

Credit cards

Mastercard, Visa, Diners Club and American Express are accepted in some, but not all, international hotels and larger, mainly tourist shops. Using the card in Beijing and Shanghai is not a problem. Details from the issuer of the relevant credit card.


Bank cards The Girocard (formerly EC card) with the Cirrus, Plus or Maestro symbol is accepted worldwide. It can be used at ATMs with the Cirrus, Plus or Maestro symbol. Cash withdrawals from ATMs with European bank cards in China are currently only possible to a very limited extent. For this reason you should have alternative means of payment such as credit cards and cash. Attention: Travelers who want to pay with their bank customer card abroad and withdraw money should find out from their bank about the possibility of using their card before starting their journey.

Travelers cheques

Traveller’s checks are no longer available in Germany and Switzerland and are hardly available in Austria. Traveller’s checks can be cashed at banks in major cities in China. When exchanging high fees are sometimes due.

Bank opening hours

Mon-Fri 09.00-12.00, 13.00/14.00-16.00/17.00. Sometimes also Sat 08.00-11.30.

Foreign exchange regulations

The import of foreign currencies is unlimited and must be declared from an equivalent value of US$ 5,000. The import and export of local currency is only permitted up to ¥20,000 RMB. The export of foreign currencies is permitted up to the amount declared, minus the exchange amounts. Note: Passengers bringing in funds with a value greater than US$5,000 and intending to re-export this money must complete two customs declaration forms upon entry, one of which they may keep and present upon exit.

Currency Exchange

Foreign currencies and travelers checks can be exchanged at international banks and hotels. In the hotels and the so-called Friendship Stores, you can pay for luxury items (such as spirits) imported for visitors in foreign currency. Bank exchange counters are already located at the airport, all common currencies can be exchanged here.


Code Symbol Exchange rates (no guarantee)
CNY ¥ 1 EUR = 7.28 ¥
1 CHF = 8.61 ¥
1 USD = 6.95 ¥

China Money