According to top-medical-schools, Schurz, Nevada is located in Mineral County, about 35 miles south of Hawthorne. The city covers an area of 0.7 square miles and has a population of about 600 people. The climate in Schurz is generally dry and warm, with low humidity and temperatures ranging from the mid-50s to mid-90s in the summer months. In winter, temperatures can dip into the teens, but snow rarely accumulates on the ground for more than a few days at a time.
Schurz was founded in 1864 by settlers who were attracted to the area by its abundant natural resources, including gold, silver and copper. It was originally called “Owl Creek” after a nearby creek that ran through town but was renamed to honor Carl Schurz, an influential German-American politician in the late 19th century. The city is governed by a mayor and four council members who are elected to serve four-year terms.
The economy of Schurz is largely based on agriculture, mining and tourism. Agriculture includes cattle ranching and hay farming while mining operations are focused on gold and silver extraction from local ore deposits. Tourism has become increasingly important as more people come to explore the area’s natural beauty and visit its many historical sites such as Fort Churchill State Historic Park or Genoa Courthouse Museum.
Schurz is served by two public schools: Schurz Elementary School (K-6) and Hawthorne Middle/High School (7-12). There are also several private schools in the area including Mineral County Christian Academy (K-8) and Trinity Lutheran School (K-6).
Some of Schurz’s points of interest include Lake Lahontan State Recreation Area which offers camping, fishing, boating, picnicking; Fort Churchill State Historic Park which preserves remnants of an 1860s U.S. Army fort; Genoa Courthouse Museum which features artifacts related to early Nevada history; Walker River Indian Reservation which offers cultural events throughout the year; Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe Museum & Visitors Center which celebrates Native American culture; Silver Springs Golf Course which features 18 holes of challenging golfing; and numerous hiking trails offering stunning views of nearby mountains or lake shores.
Males: 353 (49.0%), Females: 368 (51.0%)
Zip code: 89427
Median resident age: 34.6 years
Median household income: $24,265
Median house value: $56,800
Races in Schurz:
- American Indian (86.8%)
- Hispanic (9.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (9.4%)
- Two or more races (3.7%)
- Other race (1.7%)
- Black (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (4.4%), German (2.5%), Italian (1.9%), English (1.2%).
Elevation: 4120 feet
Land area: 60.5 square miles
Schurz is a small town located in Mineral County, Nevada. The population of Schurz was estimated at 622 people in 2019. This small, rural town is primarily populated by Native Americans, making up over half of the total population. The second largest demographic is White non-Hispanic, making up approximately one-third of the population. Other races and ethnicities make up the remaining portion of the population.
The majority of Schurz residents are employed in either agriculture or tourism related jobs. Many locals work on nearby farms and ranches while others find employment with local businesses such as restaurants, stores, and lodging establishments located within the town limits. Additionally, many residents work for nearby casinos located in Hawthorne and Yerington which offer employment opportunities to those living in Schurz and its surrounding area. Education is also an important part of life within Schurz as there are two schools located within the town limits; a primary school for grades K-8 and a high school for grades 9-12.
For population 25 years and over in Schurz
- High school or higher: 67.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.1%
- Unemployed: 15.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Schurz CDP
- Never married: 26.1%
- Now married: 42.3%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 21.7%
3.9% Foreign born (2.5% Latin America, 1.0% Asia, 0.4% Europe).
Hospital/medical center in Schurz:
- SCHURZ PHS INDIAN HOSPITAL (SCHURZ INDIAN HOSPITAL)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Schurz:
- SOUTH LYON MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; YERINGTON, NV)
- MT GRANT GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 33 miles; HAWTHORNE, NV)
- CHURCHILL COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 36 miles; FALLON, NV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Schurz:
- RENO/TAHOE INTERNATIONAL (about 75 miles; RENO, NV; Abbreviation: RNO)
- LAKE TAHOE (about 81 miles; SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, CA; Abbreviation: TVL)
- MAMMOTH YOSEMITE (about 93 miles; MAMMOTH LAKES, CA; Abbreviation: MMH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Schurz:
- YERINGTON MUNI (about 23 miles; YERINGTON, NV; Abbreviation: O43)
- FALLON NAS /VAN VOORHIS FLD/ (about 32 miles; FALLON, NV; Abbreviation: NFL)
- HAWTHORNE MUNI (about 33 miles; HAWTHORNE, NV; Abbreviation: HTH)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Schurz:
- WESTERN NEVADA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 69 miles; Carson City, NV; Full-time enrollment: 2,167)
- TRUCKEE MEADOWS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 79 miles; RENO, NV; Full-time enrollment: 4,615)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA-RENO (about 121 miles; RENO, NV; Full-time enrollment: 10,375)
- MERCED COLLEGE (about 161 miles; MERCED, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,482)
- CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY-FRESNO (about 163 miles; FRESNO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 16,035)
- FRESNO CITY COLLEGE (about 163 miles; FRESNO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 10,741)
- SIERRA COLLEGE (about 168 miles; ROCKLIN, CA; Full-time enrollment: 9,313)